Late last year, a morning phone call with a friend inadvertently directed us to It’s On Us, a national campaign to stop sexual assault on college campuses. He suggested donating a portion of our handbag proceeds to such an organization, in order to raise awareness of sexual assault and encourage prevention and education. He knew our personal story and that this would be a subject that would hit close to home. His idea was really the beginning of Wren & Roch as it has come to be today.
As the campaign declares "1is2many", meaning one victim is too many. We echo that sentiment.
The national statistics are staggering:
- One in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college (a).
- More than 90% of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault (b).
- 63.3% of men at one university who self-reported acts qualifying as rape or attempted rape admitted to committing repeat rapes (c).
- Rape is the most under-reported crime; 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to police (d).
- (a) Krebs, C. P., Lindquist, C., Warner, T., Fisher, B., & Martin, S. (2007). The campus sexual assault (CSA) study: Final report. Retrieved from the National Criminal Justice Reference Service: http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/221153.pdf
- (b) Fisher, B., Cullen, F., & Turner, M. (2000). The sexual victimization of college women (NCJ 182369). Retrieved from the National Criminal Justice Reference Service: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/182369.pdf •(c) Lisak, D., Gardinier, L., Nicksa, S. C., & Cote, A. M. (2010). False allegations of sexual assault: An analysis of ten years of reported cases. Violence Against Women, 16, 1318-1334. doi:10.1177/1077801210387747
- (d) Rennison, C. A. (2002). Rape and sexual assault: Reporting to police and medical attention, 1992-2000 [NCJ 194530]. Retrieved from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics: http://bjs.ojp. usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsarp00.pdf
Please, join It’s On Us to stop sexual assault and raise awareness. Watch the video, read the tips and take the pledge today.http://itsonus.org/#videos